Saturday, March 22, 2014

happy belated world down syndrome day

Well I missed writing and posting this on the actual day (March 21) but that's ok.
http://sippinglemonade.com/why-are-we-so-afraid-of-down-syndrome-2/

I love how the writer in this above article poses the question, "why are we so afraid of down syndrome?"
Before miles I was never around anyone who had down syndrome. I knew nothing but the negatives. That's what made me so afraid.
So here's what I would tell a mom if her baby was born with down syndrome. If I could be there in the birthing room with balloons and a big banner, pushing the doctor with his somber face away and shoving the nurses that are rudely whispering.
I would say, "congratulations! You are beginning an amazing adventure! Your child will do amazing things. Every milestone and development will be more precious to you because it will show your child's hard work and determination. I hope you already follow Jesus because you are going to need him with this new challenge. But also know that you will see God's love and joy through your child. Enjoy your new baby and get some rest. "

Now here are some positives that I have noticed having a son with down syndrome: every milestone and development is something to be celebrated, he is a great problem solver, he's a cuddle bug, he's super cute and has a great smile, he loves to dance, and he's a wild card - you never know what to expect.


1 comment:

Dekkerfan said...

We love that "wild card"!